Thursday, May 10, 2012

My First Grand


FRIDAY, JANUARY 30, 2009


My First GC

Oh the wondrous works of our God! I have had the most marvelous ‘Grandmother’ experience a woman could possibly have before the birth of a grandchild! Monday morning I got up early, and with anticipation, drove to Houston, Texas. The trip was pleasant, and I arrived in plenty of time to accompany Britni, and Malcolm to the doctor’s office. The grand occasion was a 4-D Ultra Sound; the subject, my first grandchild.
The trip from their home to the Doctor’s office was filled with excited chatter! Two grandmothers, an aunt, and the parents, were all trying to express their feelings. Needless to say, we were a lively group; we were on our way to adventure.
I watched as technology brought the amazing antics of this brand new life to a video screen. There, in the most fabulous detail, I saw the handiwork of God. The sweetest little nose, arms, legs, and the fullest lips, yawning wide for our benefit, filled the screen. Those arms and legs were pumping away and looked as though they had been working-out full time. I counted fingers and toes, and I saw the tiniest hand reach out and grab the cutest little foot. There was a perfectly formed spine that arched like a bow as ‘Carter’ stretched backward. My heart was full, and my thoughts were centered on this child, mygrandchild.
Viewing this wonder, fascinated by every move, tears, like waterfalls, coursed down my cheeks. My breath caught in my throat when Carter suddenly took his thumb into his mouth and began to suckle in that age-old, life sustaining trait that is inherent to all human flesh. My God, what a beautiful sight!
As if all I had seen was only a preview, suddenly Carter’s heart could be seen, steadily pumping life blood to his tiny little body. How amazing, to watch the most intricate function of the body as it worked with magnificent perfection! The magnified picture allowed a view of four tiny little chambers, a living heart, so diminutive yet so alive.
I am still reeling with awestruck wonder. I already love this child, flesh of my flesh, bone of my bone. I will stretch in my capacity as a grandmother and do all I can to see that he learns about the God I serve. I want him to know Truth, to grow up strong, to know happiness, to be intelligent, and to make wise choices for his life. I love him, and he already fills my prayers!
I am…Grandmother.

No comments:

Post a Comment